Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Further and Farthest North!


A time will come in later years when the Ocean will unloose the bands of things, when the immeasurable earth will lie open, when seafarers will discover new countries, and Thule will no longer be the extreme point among the lands.     SENECA, from the Introduction of "Farthest North" by Fridtjof Nansen, 1897

It's no secret I am a bit of a fan of Nansen.  Hell, even my dog is called Nansen!  But while tidying up the house recently I rediscovered Nansen's book Farthest North and I was immediately reminded of our own coming adventures.  Adventures bookmarking the TSS2010 expedition.

Jane and I thought that Uummannaq was pretty damn far North but in May I'll be travelling further North to Upernavik and then on to Kullorsuaq in connection with the oral examinations in Geography and English. 


Kullorsuaq is located just below the start of the diagonal line to the right of the text: Baffin Bay.

This will be Further North but Farthest North will be when Jane and I move to Qaanaaq ready to start the new school year at Avanersuup Atuarfia

Yep, 2010 is gonna be busy!

You can read more about Fridtjof Nansen and Hjalamar Johanson's catamaran kayak on Thomas Armstrong's fantastic blog, 70.8%.

No comments:

Post a Comment