Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Arctic Crossing - inspiration


Two quotes from a great book that sounds oh so familiar when reading it here in Greenland.

"With a soaking wet rear end, I wonder how  to define the Northwest Passage.  Although five different water routes pass through Canada’s northern islands, most are locked in sea ice year-round.  I have chosen the most southern and ice-free passage, hugging the warm and silted roof of North America.  As I begin paddling out into the ocean, I decide to impose only two conditions for continuing each day: I have to be able to handle being alone psychologically, and I have to be safe."

"The message I got was that this trip would kill you if you didn’t take your time and listen to Inuit. There’s no margin for error as a soloist."   

Jonathan Waterman, "Arctic Crossing"

No comments:

Post a Comment